Skip to main content

Journey to Sompio and Lokka with Lauri Linna and Pia Lindman




Pia embarking to record Lokka. Photo: Lauri Linna


















After almost a month in Kuusamo with Tinna Greatarsdottir, Sigurjón Hafsteinsson, Rosanne van Klaveren, and Lauri Linna, I returned to my home in Inkoo via Savukoski, Tanhua, Sodankylä and eventually Rovaniemi, from where I started my long journey back to the Southern part of Finland.  I went to Savukoski to meet Anu Tossavainen, who was willing to meet with me and drive with me to Tanhua to Pessijoentie, to look for the site of eight unearthed graves. Archeologists think two of the graves belonged to noidas - one of them converted to Christianity, one not. (I will post my notes from visiting these graves soon.)  But I was looking for traces of the story of seven noidas who - the legend tells us - committed suicide once the new preacher told them that anyone holding on to sami beliefs and cosmology will burn in hell. I did not find them in Tanhua, I found something in Sodankylä, by the river bank of the old church (built in 1689), but the more I looked, the less I believed the story.

A week later I visited Hanna Laura Kaljo in Tallinn, to visit the site for the exhibition space and discuss what I plan to do for the exhibition (Let the Field of Your Attention ... ) As I was telling her about my travels, and about how the artificial lake Lokka had covered many of the ancient sami sites that were of interest to many in the Chill Survive Network, Hanna pointed out that actually that very body of water which was interfering with my inquiry, was of pointed interest. And especially since I had planned to add underwater sound to my installation in the exhibition! Up until then, I had not been able to come to grips with what kind of sound and body of water I was looking for - is it not funny how sometimes things stare you right in the face - and you only need a push to see them?

A week later, I was back on the train with Lauri Linna, heading to Sodankylä and from there, further North, to lake Sompio that runs into Lokka and where the hills Nattaset - and especially Pyhä Nattanen (Sacred Nattanen) - are a strong presence in the Northern horizon.

Lauri Linna wanted to visit these specific sites, since they were the land and places of the legendary powerful noida Akmeeli who lived in the 1600s and by account managed to fight off the Christians in battle.  Lauri, I am sure, will tell more about his explorations in regards to Akmeeli himself.

Posted link to a video below that gives some sense of the work we were doing with Lauri:

Lokka kuullostelu video

EXCERPT OF DIARY NOTES FROM THE JOURNEY
31.08.19
I write now for a moment about Sunday the 25th of August, when I recorded the lake Lokka.
We overnighted with Lauri again on the camp site of Nellimela, in Sodankylä. This time we stayed in number 6, a cabin with a slanted floor.
Early next morning we were on our way, this time to a village called Lokka, located on the Southern tip of lake Lokka. This is the site of the dam and hydro power plant.

The dam and power plant are surprisingly small - merely ten meters wide.

All those lands, villages, sacred places disappeared – for this?

The day before, we had been driving almost 400km from Sodankylä North to the ends of Mutenia and Silmävaara roads and back to Sodankylä. The shortest route to the village Lokka in the South - around the entire lake – goes through Sodankylä.

04.09.19
September, fresh air like clear glass and temperatures dropping at nights. Wind. Remind me of how sad I was to leave Kuusamo.

I started logging the material from Lokka after returning from Berlin. A few days earlier, on Sunday or Saturday … Maybe Sunday night? I had been listening to the sound recordings. I had a feeling that strengthened in my dream. I dreamed all night that I am still missing one tape. The one, where I am with Akmeeli, or where something becomes manifest of him. In the morning, in my still sleeping mind, I searched again for the missing recording. Suddenly I realised that it had been in front of me all along. It was the GoPro tape, where I walk the Akmeeli hills all the way to the stream Hietaoja, across of which lies Akmeeli’s grave. Akmeeli is on the tape! Akmeeli has entered the GoPro camera. I walked with Akmeeli! I watched the tape over and over again. I looked for an atmosphere or something (a mark, a click, or – like at the dam in the village of Lokka, where the river Luiro runs out having been reduced by the dam to a tenth of its former depth – a small bank of sand and bushes in the river looking like a screaming head).

I feel a strong atmosphere on the tape in the moment when I arrive at the open field by the stream and pan across the dancing grass, the stream, Sompio lake, and the site of Akmeeli’s grave across. Thinking back, I remember I had walked with peculiar intensity past the Akmeeli hills, the ancient winter camp site of his tribe, to reach the stream. As if I had known where I was going. When I reached the stream, I noticed the big tree stumps. Trees had been cut down some decades ago, and remaining stumps were sticking out of the swampy soil. These trees would never grow this big in such wet land. Some of the stumps stuck out from the middle of the stream. 

A forest used to grow here, with big trees (pine?). Now it was a marshland. Of course, when you build a dam, it does not necessarily mean that water simply rises, but rather that the land turns wet and eventually a marshy vegetation forms a blanket covering the former forest.

Strange landscape, strange wind, strange water. Spirits with their memories seem to have fled to the higher hills (Nattaset) this marshy blanket cannot reach. The confounded land that remains, the remainders of the Akmeeli hills and the forest, now search for new roots, forms of being. 
This, I filmed here. And returned following my own foot marks, resounding my steps as pointy swooshes and swishes. I watch my shadow, formed by the landscape and plants. Gathering into itself this place and surrenders to it - again and again. Thank you for walking with me.

Pyhä Nattanen at night, seen from Silmävaara road from the East

Sodankylä old church
Pia Lindman thanks Swedish Cultural Council and Akusmata, Helsinki, Finland, for material support making this work possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lauri Linna Family Heritage PART2

Korva and many versions of the last name are quite common in Lapland and many have the name because of their house/farm was called Korva. Korva means “an ear”. It also has other meanings. E.g. you could say that you live by the river -“asun joen korvalla”.  Or you can say “tavataan siinä 12.00 korvalla” = “Let’s meet around 12.00”. It is difficult to translate Finnish sometimes. At this point of my research I haven’t got any hard evidence of my family’s connections to other Korva families in Lapland. But there are interesting connections in Kuusamo still to talk about. I continued to research the name more. At first, I was finding more Finnish settlers coming and taking land. But then I stumbled upon another family: The Pitkä family. The family originates from a kind of a tribal chief or the elder of the tribe (again a bad translation of lappalaislautamies) of the Kitka siida, Marttinin Antti, who lived approx. 1624-1693. The family summer camps were in the Ala-Kitka ar

ONLINE WORKSHOPS 2020 - KUUSAMO

Chill Survive opened a new website in November 2020 offering art, poems, interviews, and essays. Kuusamo workshops were transformed for online participation in December 2020, and you can check them out below (scroll, scroll, and scroll further down...): From Reindeer Poo-to-Paper by Chan'nel Vestergaard and Littlepink Maker Gravitational Shift by Marie Kølbæk Iversen and Katinka Fogh Vindelev Singing to the Virus by Pia Lindman Pandora's Box by Rozan van Klaveren All workshops are realised in colaboration and with the support of Kuusamo city and and Ulla Ingalsuo-Laaksonen. Thank you! Workshop details  and documentation below: From Reindeer Poo-to-Paper Chan'nel Vestergaard and Littlepink Maker This workshop gives you the protocols of how to make paper out of reindeer poo. The digestion system of a reindeer is so effective that its poo contains nothing more than fibers - and some microbes. This is why this material is well suited for paper-making. Let us up the up-cycl

Pia Lindman Reporting from Nuuk, Marraq, and Ilulissat in Greenland with Contributions by Saara Mahbouba, Valeria Nekhaeva, and Mirka Sulander

Videos from Marraq      Marraq 1 Marraq 2 Marraq 3 Marraq, a peninsula 100km South West of Nuuk, is the location of a former US military base (West Bluie 4) that was shut down in 1948. Amongst delapidated equipment you can find barrels (jet fuel?), pieces of lead, and asbestos. I also found a pile of metal gravel, the grains of which were of a light grey color with a bluish tint/shine. This, like some tens of other abandoned US military bases in Greenland are slated for clean-up by the Danish and Greenlandic governments. This clean-up work has recently been allocated 300 M Danish Crowns. Ilulissat is located next to Kangia fjord (Unesco site). Sermeq Kujalleq glacier calves icebergs into the fjord and with its pace of 20 meters per day, it is one of the most active calving glaciers in the world. In the first video (Ilulissat 1) you will hear the sound of calving at 00min 31s, 01min 04s and again at 04min 14s and 04min 26s. (source:  The Guardian 08.12.15) Videos from Il